www.wirksworth.net forum - Discuss local issues and events
Visit the Wirksworth.net Home Page

Go Back   Wirksworth.net Forum > General > Soap Opera Wirksworth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soap Opera Wirksworth This is the section where stories from the town can unfold online.

Old 02-01-10, 02:36 PM

...her mother had shut up shop and was waiting for her in the kitchen. She held a rolling pin in her hand. Lizzie knew what that meant; she had been at the receiving end of the rolling pin many times.

“Have you been baking mother?” she asked impudently.

“Yer know damned well I aven’t. And yer know damned well why I’m ‘oldin this thing in me ‘and. Get down on yer knees, lass.”

“No”, retorted Lizzie defiantly. “I’ve had enough of your beatings. If you lay one hand on me I will report you to the Reverend Jones. He’ll believe me because I have just gained his trust.”

“Yer’ll do as yer told while yer livin in this house. Get down now!”

Lizzie
Old 14-01-10, 03:19 PM

bent down with her hands on the floor, closed her eyes tightly and waited for the first strike from the rolling pin. It didn't half hurt, and she could never get used to it. But..
Old 19-01-10, 08:02 PM

after the first sting on her bottom, her mother was interrupted by a knock on the door. Still with the rolling pin in her hand and cursing under her breath she went to open it.

“Ah Reverend Jones”, she said nervously, “This is a surprise.”

“May I come in? I need to speak to you.”

Lizzie quickly got up from the floor and smoothed her skirt down.

“I thought I heard a scream just now as I was passing your house,” the Reverend said, looking at the rolling pin. “Was I mistaken, Mrs Gratton?”

There was an uncomfortable silence.

Lizzie said, “No, you were right.” She avoided her mother’s glare. “I accidentally dropped the rolling pin on my foot just now. On my big toe. Silly of me, but I’m just about to bathe it in cold water. That’ll help.”

There was a sigh of relief from her mother. Lizzie knew the Reverend had heard it and was far from convinced by her own white lie. She
Old 23-01-10, 07:02 PM

was also aware that Reverend Jones had spotted her mother holding the rolling pin. Not her.

"Reverend Jones, why are you here?" she asked.
Old 27-01-10, 08:26 PM

asked, trying to calm things down.

“He said he was just passing”, Lizzie’s mother said glowering at the clergyman.

“That wasn’t exactly true, I confess. I came to congratulate Lizzie on the way she handled a tricky situation this afternoon.” He paused and cleared his throat. “Erm, with Ebenezer.”

“Oh aye, she was with that no good mystery man. I’ve told her to keep away from him. We don’t know anything about him. Lives alone. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s got a missus and half a dozen kids hiding somewhere. He’s up to no good. She won’t listen to me, Reverend.”

“And is that why you beat her with a rolling pin?”

“That's my business. I don’t care who you are…get out of my house right now!”
Old 01-03-10, 10:00 AM

Much to her annoyance, the Reverend remained resolute. “I am not leaving until I am assured that Lizzie is safe.” He looked at Lizzie. “Tell me, have you been beaten before by your mother…or anyone else? I need to know the truth, Lizzie.”

“Yes yes yes!” shouted Lizzie. “And that’s why I like Ebenezer. He talks ever so gentle and…he is kind to me. I’ve never known anything like it. Not like her. Whatever I do she grumbles at me. She beats me if she doesn’t like what I do.” Lizzie began to sob. “I hate.. hate hate her!”

It was as if Lizzie was exploding all the resentment stored up over her
Old 09-04-10, 12:56 PM

years of childhood.

The poor cleric was at a loss for words, but he knew that something had to be done. He wondered if it was a police matter or whether he should call on Dr Smith and get his advice.

"Do you have any relations you could stay with, Lizzie. An aunt or uncle, perhaps?"

"No she doesn't, and she's not going anywhere!" retorted Lizzie's mum. "She's needed here to clean 'thouse while I'm in shop."

There seemed no solution...
Old 16-07-10, 12:46 PM

There seemed no solution... A loud knocking on the door made them jump.
Old 02-08-10, 04:50 PM

Lizzie peered through the window. She gasped and her cheeks flushed.

“Well oo is it?”, her mother wanted to know. “No, yer don’t have to tell me. I can see it all over yer face. It’s that bloody owd man who’s been givin yer airs and graces wot you’ll never ave.”

The reverend gave a polite cough. “Are you going to let him in then?” he asked. “I think you should. If only to hear what he has to say.”

“Ah don’t bloody care whot he’s got to say!! Ee’s got no business interferin wit decent folk.”

Lizzie slowly walked to the door and…..