www.wirksworth.net forum - Discuss local issues and events
Visit the Wirksworth.net Home Page

Go Back   Wirksworth.net Forum > General > Soap Opera Wirksworth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soap Opera Wirksworth This is the section where stories from the town can unfold online.

Old 10-08-09, 11:25 AM

Default Tales from Wirksworth

Once upon a time....

Old 11-08-09, 10:43 AM

there was a t'owd man who
Old 15-08-09, 09:07 AM

lived in a tiny cottage at the top of Greenhill. He worked in the limestone quarry as a miner and would get up at the crack of dawn, make himself a brew and leave his cottage (unlocked) to join the other miners on the way to work. It wasn't far for them to travel for the quarry was practically on their doorstep. They didn't talk much because all they had to say had been said the night before at one of the many pubs in the town.

The name of t'owd man was Ebenezer and he....
Old 16-08-09, 09:15 AM

had a secret that he kept to himself. It had something to do with his past as a young man. He wasn’t very old now…perhaps in his middle fifties or so...but his secret related to a time before he came to live in Wirksworth. Some people wondered if he had been a sailor because of his piercing blue eyes that seemed to look far ahead into the distance. Others thought he might have been

Last edited by Erica Boulton : 16-08-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Change his age
Old 18-08-09, 10:51 AM

a soldier because his boots gleamed at the start of each day.

Elsie Gratton, who owned the wool shop at the bottom of The Dale and hadn’t a nice word to say about anyone, reckoned Ebenezer had abandoned a wife and children somewhere. Madge Wilkins thought he might have escaped from the claws of a grasping mother who wanted her son to look after her until she died. He never had a visitor and the postman hardly ever had a letter or postcard to deliver. Even at Christmas, Ebenezer never received a card.

You’d think that Ebenezer would be a miserable lonely t’owd man, but he always had a smile on his face. Reverend Jones believed he had an “inner happiness” due to being a regular churchgoer. Tom Gell said that was a load of rubbish. “Old Ebenezer likes ter sing t’hymns. Nowt more in it than that.”
Old 19-08-09, 05:20 PM

Lizzie, Elsie’s only daughter had a theory of her own based on the fact that she once slipped in the snow outside Ebenezer’s cottage. She was about 10 years old at the time and it just so happened that Ebenezer was coming up Greenhill on his way home from work. He helped her to hobble inside his cottage and attended to the injury on her leg. Lizzie recalls how he kept a first aid box in his kitchen cupboard and from it he took out a little bottle of yellow liquid. “Tis iodine”, he
Old 19-08-09, 06:17 PM

said. Very tenderly he dabbed this on the scratch with some fluffy white stuff she had never seen before. She remembers how it stung, but he reassured her it was to prevent any infection. When Lizzie arrived home with the knee wrapped in bandage her mother was furious. “Ee’d no right interferin wit yer.”

But as Lizzie grew older, and learned more about Ebenezer’s “secret” past, she
Old 09-09-09, 01:00 PM

decided to use the powers of t'interweb to try and uncover more clues.

Unfortunately, this was difficult as she did not know Ebenezer's surname. Googling for "Ebenezer" only served up information about "Ebenezer Goode" - the well known 90's song by The Shamen, the lyrics of which appear on the surface to describe a nice chap of the same name, although the chorus "'ezer Goode, 'ezer Goode" was really a crafty endorsement of recreational drug use.

One day Lizzie was strolling down Greenhill past the entrance to Derek Trowell's office, and met the postman coming round the corner - struggling up the hill towards her with his bulging sack. Lizzie smiled at the postman and commented on the size of his sack:
"Morning - that's an impressive sack you've got there!" she said, in a jolly voice.

"Dear god, he'll be the death of me, old matey up there!", said the postman, out of breath.

"Who will - Ebenezer, at the top?", asked Lizzie curiously, hoping the postman might spill that elusive clue she'd been looking for.

"Ebenezer ? No-one up here with that name young lady, and I should know. No, it's for Ricky - you know, the chap in the small cottage at the top".

"Ah, of course - Ricky" replied Lizzie, trying not to sound surprised. "Here, I'm not in a hurry, let me give you a hand".

"Ah don't worry about me, this is what I'm paid to - ", said the postman, by which point Lizzie had already put her hand under his sack to take some of his load.
"Well, if you insist...it is quite a relief", said the postman, who was glad to have a little respite from carrying such a load of post up the hill for once.

As they both staggered up the hill, Lizzie positioned herself to try and get a look into the sack. After deftly repositioning her hands a few times, she managed to sneak a look in the top.

Inside the bag were hundreds of letters, of all shapes and sizes, many in differently coloured envelopes and with varying degrees of decoration - obvious attempts to grab the recipient's attention.

And there she saw the name, the same name on all of them. It wasn't Ebenezer at all - that must just be his attempt to disguise his true identity.

His true name was Ricky .....
Old 11-09-09, 08:02 AM

Tumlinson. Lizzie recalled her mother’s sister, Auntie Iris saying she had seen him on the stage in Buxton. “’E were that good an actor. ‘E had us fallin about laughin one minute and cryin in our hankies the next”.

“Do you have to carry a load such as this every day?” Lizzie asked the postman.

“If I did, there’d be nowt left of me. No, it’s usually once a week, thank heavens. And that’s too much I can tell yer. We’re ‘ere now. I can start pushin ter stuff through letter-box.”

“Here, I’ll pass them to you”, Lizzie said, keen to get a closer look at what was clearly Ricky’s fan mail. She
Old 16-09-09, 10:45 AM

noticed that while most of the envelopes were addressed to Ricky Tumlinson, some had the name Ebenezer Jones, Esq. written on them. To add to the enigma, she found a few addressed to Dr E Jones, confirming her theory that Ebenezer was a medicine man.

“Don’t all these different names confuse you?” asked Lizzie.

“No, lass. I never look at names. Only addresses. Right, I’ll be on my way. This hill gets steeper and steeper as me legs grow older and older. But, I'll be goin down hill from now on. Thanks for yer help. Tarrah!”